- We still look up to our former colonists. They have the French, and we have the Brits.
- Speaking the colonial lingo is a status symbol. French over there, English over here.
- We faced a civil war instigated by the big-bully neighbours. They watched as we killed each other, and then they sent their military to “keep the Peace.” Syria poking the finger in their business and India, in ours.
- We had a political leader in the recent past who built the country, and built a stadium in his name; only to be killed by a bomb while on the road not very far from the stadium. Hariri vs Premadasa.
- The tallest statue in the country is a religious symbol.
- They were the centre of the Middle East. We were the Pearl of the Indian Ocean.
- We both love to party, and we love to drink.
- Our national drink is Arak. And Arrack.
- We embraced modernism long before our neighbours.
- Our infrastructure was so bad, we had to introduce mobile phones in order to catch-up with the rest of the world. Today, a mobile phone is must, and it’s a menace.
- We have an amazing capability to forget the bullets, blood and the bodies in less than 24-hours; we are used to asking “how many?” after hearing a bomb go off in the vicinity. And get-on with watching the silly soap-opera or the match unfolding on the silver screen.
- We are better educated than our neighbours in the region.
- We think a European car is better than a Japanese.
- Everyone we know has someone of their family living overseas.
- Our politicians are corrupted and the government sector runs on bribery. And there is always a way to get things done.
- We boast about our ancient civilisation, while we fail to be civil to each other.
- We brag about the beautiful beaches, cold mountains and ancient cities.
- We drive like crazy; and think of road rules only if there’s a cop around the corner.
- Our women are gorgeous.
- Last but not least, we are just nice people. It must be the sea..!
The Lebanese and the Sri Lankans
Bleow are 20 quick reasons why I posted the three ads from the Lebanese General Elections. The Lebanese are just like us!